Another pastor I enjoy listening to who has taught me a lot is Rick Warren. My life began to turn around when I first did the Purpose Driven Life at church a few years ago. I have since done it again and will probably re-do it every few years. That being said, I sometimes catch him on the Roku box and take notes on whatever he might be teaching that day. One day, at an opportune time in my life, he preached on how to keep from being stressed out. I’m sure most of us can appreciate a lesson or two on that subject!
Here are 5 key steps to avoid becoming stressed out:
- Refuse to worry about anything. Worry is a choice, not a necessity. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don’t forget to thank him for his answers. –Philippians 4:6 (LIVING BIBLE)
- Talk to God about everything. You desire and you do not have; you murder and envy and you cannot obtain; you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask; -James 4:2 (NET)
- Thank God in all things. in everything give thanks. For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NET)
- Think about good things. Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. -Philippians 4:8-9 (MSG)
- Be content with anything. “Learn to admire without having to acquire.” I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in any circumstance. I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. –Philippians 4:11-12 (NET)